DIY -Woven Chain Mesh Bracelet

This bracelet feels so good around the wrist! It is easily customized by adding more or less strands of chain, our favorite width is made up of 7 strands.

finished4

Tools Needed

Twisted Wire Needle
Hypo Tube Cement
Scissors
Chainnose Pliers

Materials Needed

A materials kit is available Here

2 Feet 3mm Rolo Chain
2 Yards .8mm Chinese Knotting Cord
4 4mm Jump Rings, 18ga thickness
1 Toggle Clasp

Weaving the Chain Mesh

Step 1: Cut the chain into four equal lengths of 6 inches, don’t worry if the chains are off by a few links from cutting.

Step 2: Place the twisted wire needle onto the cord end. Using the needle, feed the cord through the 2nd link of each chain length. Leave a 4 inch tail to be woven in later.

Step 3: Using the needle, feed the cord into the 3rd link of each chain. Make certain the chain strands do not twist when weaving the cord in place. Each row of links should rest in the same direction across the row, alternating with the row above.

Step 4: Continue weaving the cord through the links of each successive row until the desired length is achieved; usually about 5 1/2″ of mesh weave. Do not weave the cord through the final row of links just yet.

Feed the cord through the links of the chain, one row at a time.

Feed the cord through the links of the chain, one row at a time.

Attaching the Clasp

Step 5: Using chainnose pliers, open a jump ring and feed it through the two center chain links. Close the ring tightly so that the ends of the ring are flush.

Step 6: Open a new jump ring and connect it to the jump ring of the previous step and the ring on the clasp. Close the ring securely.

Step 7: Repeat Steps 5 & 6 to attach the clasp on the opposite side of the woven mesh.

chainmesh22

Attach the clasp with jump rings to the two center chain links.

Securing the Cord Ends

Step 8: Using the needle, feed the cord through the 1st row of chain links. Secure it in place by feeding it back through both the 2nd and then the 3rd row.

Step 9: Cut the cord flush against the chain mesh. Apply a dab of Hypo-Tube cement glue to the cord end to glue it in place and keep the ends from fraying.

Weave the cord back through several rows and glue in place.

Weave the cord back through several rows and glue in place.

About Lisa Claxton
My name is BeadShopGirl and I'm a beadaholic. In the morning, in the afternoon and into the night I think about them, match them and even dream about them. And here I blog; all about beads.

8 Responses to DIY -Woven Chain Mesh Bracelet

1. Melanie says:

What size bracelet does this pattern make?

2. Hi Melanie,
    Good question, I have a long answer. The finished length measures 7″ including the clasp and jump rings, a snug fit for someone with a 6″ wrist. The clasp and jump rings account for approximately 1 1/2 of length. For smaller wrists, decrease the length of the chains that make up the mesh. Larger bracelets can be made by adding chain length to the mesh.
    Enjoy, Lisa

• Melanie says:

Cool, thank you. I will need to adjust the chain length to fit my wrist. If I add two inches, it should fit comfortably on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. I dislike snug bracelets.

Liked by 1 person

3. Sue says:

I am new to your site but love to make jewelry also. This is a very pretty bracelet, can’t wait to make it, thankyou very much. Sue R.

4. Shannon says:

Thanks for posting this! I tried making one the other day with the Sky Blue cord and Silver chain and it looks great :). It was really easy and fast to make. I had a little trouble with the chain twisting on one of the first rows, but I kept weaving and they straightened out which made it easy to go back and correct. I also had a little trouble with the cord curling up as I was weaving but I found if I pulled the tail through first and then let the rest of the cord hook onto my finger as I pulled it through the links this would prevent it from twisting. I’m going to keep playing around with different color cord and chain combinations!

5. Amy says:

Great project! I love that it uses the same knotting cord I like to use for macramé.

6. Mickey says:

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but
    after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to
    me. Anyhow, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

7. google.com says:

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I in finding this matter
    to be actually one thing which I feel I might never understand.
    It sort of feels too complicated and very broad for me.
    I am looking forward in your next post, I will try
    to get the cling of it!